March 3, 2023: The Glow-Up of Digital Healthcare
plus: learn more from the women of Cohere, we launch brand new content and share more insights and news from the past week
Profile: Sylvie Shi, Elizabeth Gao of Cohere
More about Sylvie and Elizabeth:
Elizabeth Gao is Senior Partnerships Manager at Cohere. She is passionate about sharing the latest developments and applications in Language AI with industry and communities and working collaboratively to accelerate the evolution of how humans and machines work together. Previously, Elizabeth worked in investing and M&A in Toronto and New York. Elizabeth received her MBA from Columbia Business School and her B.Com from the University of Toronto.
Sylvie Shi is is a machine learning engineer working on text embedding models at Cohere. She is interested in various pre-training techniques for learning a high-quality representation space, as well as applications of text embeddings, such as fast and accurate semantic search and data-efficient text classification. Sylvie graduated from the University of Toronto with a bachelor’s degree in Applied Mathematics, and a master’s degree in Quantitative Finance. She also holds a master’s degree in Machine Learning from Imperial College London, where she investigated uncertainties in contrastive learning under the supervision of Dr.Yingzhen Li. Prior to her time at Cohere, Sylvie spent time working on machine learning models at TD Bank in Toronto.
What does Cohere do?
Cohere empowers every developer and enterprise to build incredible products and capture true business value with world-leading language AI.
Cohere is kickstarting a new chapter in machine learning by giving developers and businesses access to NLP powered by the latest generation of large language models, now.
What is the mission behind Cohere?
Every 10-15 yrs, humans’ interaction with computers is fundamentally and irreversibly transformed - NLP is the next transformation. We want to make a meaningful impact on this evolution.
What has been the most pleasant surprise?
The power of language AI technology and the way it's changing how businesses operate.
Want to learn more?
Sylvie and Elizabeth will be taking the stage at our upcoming International Women's Day Event on March 6 - to learn more about their individual journeys and about Cohere, register to attend!
Tickets are going fast - grab yours while they last!
Quick Takes: Top Takes from the past month
As we enter into March, we are reflecting on some of the top stories and analyses from the month of February.
Let's take a look:
- The Largest Raise of the Year (so far) - learn more about the company that's already set the record in 2023 >> LEARN MORE
- Shopify Continues to Invest in Tech - what does this mean? >> READ HERE
- Why You Should Write a Monthly Investor Update Email - the importance of the monthly update and WHY investors recommend you keep up with it >> READ HERE
- What Should You Include in a Monthly Investor Update Email? - who is on your distribution list, and what should you be sharing? >> READ HERE
- What Does the Canadian Innovation Corporation mean for your startup? >> READ HERE
- FounderFuel returns in a BIG WAY - and with new backers >> READ MORE
*Reply to this email and share your favourite takes with us
Headlines and Content
- #ICYMI - Catch up on past newsletters if you hadn't yet subscribed!
- How to Build a Diverse Talent Ecosystem >> READ MORE
- The Glow Up of Digital Healthcare >> READ MORE
- Meet the 10 Most Innovative Companies in Education >> SEE THE FULL LIST
- AssistIQ raises $2.5m CAD to cut down on medical waste in hospitals >> READ MORE
- **NEW CONTENT** Check out a new episode of our Founders Journey Series - in this episode, we chat with Dan Holowack of CrowdRiff and learn more about his personal story and what it took to build CrowdRiff >> LISTEN HERE
Listen to the latest episode of Quick Takes
Quick Takes returns LIVE with a brand new episode on March 9 at 12:00 pm ET/9:00 am PT across the TechTO platforms.
Episodes dropping every other Thursday all year long!
Catch up on past episodes here, and subscribe wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Senior Software Engineer (FrontEnd), Flybits (Toronto, ON)
Why is this cool? Named by LinkedIn Top Startups and Canadian Innovation Exchange Top 10 as one of the hottest high-growth global companies to work for in the country, Flybits enables their customers in financial services to provide hyper-personalized experiences through the power of data science and context-aware computing. Reporting to the Front-End Engineering Lead, in this role you will be a key contributor in taking their innovative Context as a Service platform to the next level >> APPLY HERE
Support Software Engineer, Humi (Canada)
Why is this cool? Humi’s mission is to help organizations throughout Canada foster their greatest asset – their employees. Starting with a powerful yet intuitive HR, payroll, benefits, and insurance platform, Humi has established a leadership position as the only company addressing all of these needs in one place. In this role, you will be focused on servicing their Hospitality customers with their technical software issues and bugs. As you become a subject matter expert with their Hospitality products, you’ll have the autonomy to develop new tool integrations and scripts to help increase efficiencies >> APPLY HERE
Information Security Specialist, Avidbots (Greater Toronto Area, Remote)
Why is this cool? At Avidbots, they are solving real-world problems with autonomous robotics solutions. Their current product, Neo, is a fully autonomous floor-scrubbing robot deployed and trusted by the world’s leading facilities and building services companies. The Information Security Specialist will join their Compliance & Data Privacy Team to support the development of their Information Security systems by contributing knowledge of GDPR, SOC2, and ISO 27001 requirements and help build the necessary security controls for their Neo 2 platform and internal IT environment >> APPLY HERE
Customer Support - Technical, BlackCart (Toronto, ON)
Why is this cool? Blackcart’s Try Before You Buy software brings the in-store shopping experience to eCommerce. They integrate into existing eCommerce stores, enabling shoppers to try products at home for free and only pay for what they decide to keep. So far, Blackcart has raised over $10M from a long list of top-tier VCs and has partnered with top eCommerce retailers to grow sales and delight their shoppers. As a Customer Support - Technical, you will represent Blackcart on the front lines - solving problems and communicating directly with merchants and shoppers >> APPLY HERE
Events and Links
Check out the interesting content, events, and happenings for the community here:
- TechTO #IWD2023 Event: March 6, 2023 - Come celebrate women in tech with us! >> REGISTER HERE
- TechTO Special: Web3: March 22, 2023 - Learn all about one of the hottest topics in tech from the top innovators in the business >> REGISTER HERE
- Best of TechTO Returns! April 3, 2023 >> REGISTER HERE - Limited early bird tickets available!
- International Conference on Engineering and Technology: April 11-12, 2023 >> LEARN MORE HERE
Want to showcase your company, events, and opportunities to 60,000 subscribers across the Canadian Tech Eco-system? Reach out to [email protected] to learn more!