March 8, 2023: Tips for Success from the Top Female Founders
plus: meet the next innovation in Web3, meet the it girls of tech, and check out upcoming events
Profile: Tanya Lindsay and Surge Distributed Protocols
What does your company do?
Surge Distributed Protocols is at the forefront of the Web3 revolution, driving innovation and development through Decentralized Applications (DApps) that are changing the game.
We are the proud creators of CryptoMibs, a ground-breaking NFT gaming platform built on Ethereum and Polygon blockchains that are transforming the industry through interoperability.
What was the insight/inspiration that led you to launch it?
After spending over 15 years managing business transformations for large companies and seeing the many ways that centralized data and information engrains systemic inequalities, I just knew I needed to be part of the blockchain revolution. I believe peer-to-peer payments and micro-earning opportunities will, in time, help redistribute wealth and there is no better place to start than with gaming applications.
How has it been received by the market? Why do you think it has been so well received?
CryptoMibs focuses on creating unique gaming experiences through web3 interoperability and our pilot tournaments have had great success.
Our success stems from our efforts to include content from each of our partner communities into our platform so everyone can see themselves reflected while they play.
How did you know you were ready to found a company?
I started my career thinking that I wanted to climb the corporate ladder, but after working in the corporate world for 9 years I realized it wasn't for me. That's when I co-founded my first company which has been running successfully for the past 17 years.
Surge Distributed Protocols is my second company, and I feel I am in my element.
How did you meet your founders/know they were the right people to start a company with?
I met my co-founder while in the corporate world and after working together for a few years we knew we complimented each other and would be great at running our own company.
It's been 17 years, and there are always ups and downs but we're still going strong.
What has been the hardest thing on your journey so far?
Managing to have to wear too many hats to keep the lights on.
What are you trying to achieve over the next 12 months?
To establish CryptoMibs as a playground for brands with digital collectibles. We want to onboard 24 brands while luring web2 casual gamers onto web3 through our mobile apps.
What advice do you wish you had been given prior to launching?
That we needed a much, much longer runway.
Who are the Canadian startups you like in your market?
- Doodles - a lens into the universe
- Run as You Are - designing new running experiences through technology
Learn more about Tanya and Surge here
Tanya will be joining our upcoming Web3 Special event series on March 22.
Learn more about Web3 and its continuous evolution from the leaders and innovators who are currently building and creating within the space.
Headlines and Content
- #ICYMI - Catch up on past newsletters if you hadn't yet subscribed!
- UniUni, a Canadian last-mile delivery provider whose clients include Shein, raised $20m CAD in the first tranche of its Series B round from Celtic House Venture Partners, BRV Aster, Freshwave Capital, Hat Trick Ventures and Vision Plus Capital >> READ MORE
- Five years after the #MeToo movement galvanized public attention to issues of gender-based violence, today the Canadian charity Aftermetoo launches a new site, www.aftermetoo.com, supporting people who are being sexually harassed at work in Canada >> LEARN MORE HERE or contact Alex Panousis at [email protected]
- GaN Systems bought for $830m US >> READ MORE
- The Study of Human Behaviour to generate better results >> WATCH NOW
- Catch up on some of the best content and learn the tips for success from some of today's top female founders >> WATCH NOW
Listen to the latest episode of Quick Takes
Quick Takes returns LIVE tomorrow with a brand new episode on March 9 at 12:00 pm ET/9:00 am PT across the TechTO platforms.
Catch up on past episodes here, and subscribe wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Senior Front End Engineer, Doodles (Remote)
Why is this cool? Doodles is here to color the world and show everyone that anything is possible with the power of their imagination. Already a leading native in Web3, Doodles’ mission is to redefine what it means to be a world-class entertainment brand. In this role, you will join the engineering team on the next iteration of Doodles while reporting directly to the VP of Engineering. You will be responsible for making every user interaction across their applications an impactful and polished experience >> APPLY HERE
IT Administrator, DarwinAI (Waterloo, ON)
Why is this cool? DarwinAI is an innovative industry 4.0 company that is transforming manufacturing by instilling trust in Artificial Intelligence. As their IT administrator, you’ll spearhead their efforts to safeguard their data in the context of security regulations such as SOC2, HiTrust, and ITAR >> APPLY HERE
Events and Links
Check out the interesting content, events, and happenings for the community here:
- Toronto Jam for Good: March 17, 2023 >> REGISTER HERE
- TechTO Special: Web3: March 22, 2023 - Learn all about one of the hottest topics in tech from the top innovators in the business >> REGISTER HERE
- Best of TechTO Returns! April 3, 2023 >> REGISTER HERE - Limited early bird tickets available!
Want to showcase your company, events, and opportunities to 60,000 subscribers across the Canadian Tech Eco-system? Reach out to [email protected] to learn more!